Thursday, February 18, 2010

You can sue a motel for having bed bugs.

Who knew?

In this case, the couple collected $5,000 in compensatory damages and $186,000 in punitive damages. Punitive damages are more extreme, and a little less common, because they are imposed for the sole purpose of detracting further negative behavior. It's interesting how legally, the two types of damages are defined for two separate, precise reasons, and yet, to the recipient, it's all just damages, money. I'm really enjoying business law, even if I barely manage to finish the readings before class. Entirely my own fault (aka me being lazy). It's not helping that the Winter Olympics are on!

Speaking of!! The Winter Olympics are AWESOME! I've watched them every single night since Sunday. I can't believe I never watched them before! And they totally should've started last week, when I was off for the entire week because I was snowed in. Would've been perfect.

Granted, I think part of the reason I'm enjoying them much more this year (rather, enjoying them at all; I can't say "much more" since I have no standard of comparison) is because I'm talking to Linden semi-constantly throughout. She is teaching me about some of the sports and we are talking about cute athletes and their impressive/beautiful stunts/performances. Good deal all around. And Hailey watched with me Monday night and tonight! =)

Last night was fun, and at times breathtaking. I was watching Men's figure skating short program. Plushenko, the defending gold medalist, is currently in the lead, and while he was so good, I thought Takahashi (Japan, currently in 3rd place) had a more beautiful performance overall. The US isn't doing too bad, either -- Evan Lysacek is in 2nd place right now! And he deserves to be. The top three are running tight -- Plushenko's at 90.85, Lysacek 0.60 behind, Takahashi 0.55 behind him, and the next one down, Oda (Japan), trails by 6.something, followed closely by Johnny Weir! Of the US!

Johnny Weir. Every time I type his last name, I actually want to type "weird." Linden and I were skeptical. He has crazy soundbites. As Linden says, he looks like a candidate for Project Runway (so true!). He talked up how he was going to "rock his pink tassel" during the figure skating program. But honestly? He delivered on it all. He was beautiful to watch where we expected him to be ostentatious and over the top. Di sent me a link to a performance of his from earlier this year / last year -- some kind of international competition. Let it be noted that he idolizes Lady Gaga. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTaVkbl3Dp4 I can't wait to see his free skate performance tomorrow night (Linden, we're on, right? =D)

So far, though, TONIGHT has been THE night to watch. It started out pretty decently (though I am going a bit out of order), with the short track heats for 1000m -- Ohno and Celski both made it through! Celski cut it close, but hey, he made it. The 5000m relay heat was today, as well, and they were both in it. It wasn't as exciting as I hoped. The US was facing up against South Korea, France, and Italy, but after the first couple of laps (out of 45), the latter two countries crashed into each other and were out, meaning the US and SK, barring any freakish incidents, were both through. Still good speed skating, though.

Next up? Speed skating, long track, where Shani Davis WON GOLD! I know I said I found it boring, the whole racing against the clock, but Linden talked to me a bit about some of the more technical aspects of it, which made it a lot more fun (yay for aerodynamics).

Alpine skiing, Lindsey Vonn, WON GOLD!! And the US also took silver in this event. That was mad intense. Vonn essentially won skiing that track one-legged. Ok, not actually one-legged, but she was favoring one shin, which put her at a disadvantage for speed coming out of turns, and she STILL won. Unfortunately, two of the skiers crashed toward the end of the track, but they are thankfully both doing fine. Vonn and her husband after her race were adorable.

And finally? Snowboarding, Shaun White, WON GOLD second time in a row!! And Scotty Lago, also of the US, took bronze. Linden and I were really hoping for a US sweep, but sadly, babyface (aka Louie Vito) didn't quite pull it off. It's ok -- he still has a sweet smile. And I love how before every run you could see him just bobbing his head to himself.

Shaun White, though? MAD MAD MAD SICK! Like, seriously. Ok, so snowboarding is out of 50 points. You get two runs each round, and the highest scored run counts -- all the guys take their first run, then they all take their second, in order of score on the first. In the quals, White posted a 45.8 on his first run while playing it safe. The closest score after him? 41 or 42. That was in quals.

Moving on to the finals. He's been saving up this huge move (double cork 1260, aka 3.5 turns, also called a double mctwist 1260; he's been practicing it in secret at his private halfpipe in the Colorado mountains -- say what?) that he was gonna unveil in the finals, but the first run, he decides to go conservative. Score? 46.8. Closest competition? Scotty Lago at 42.8. That's conservative?! Damn. Final run? Well, by the time it was his turn, he was already guaranteed the gold medal, with the new closest score another guy at 45._. Him and his coach celebrating before his final run was hilarious. "Do whatever you want dude!" "I dunno what to do, dude! Should I ride down the middle?" "Whatever you do, make sure you stomp it!" And then you hear Bob Costas, the NBC commentator, say, "We have to apologize for the language on the air" because White and his coach and another guy were getting a little too colorful in their celebration. =D His coach said if he got a 2nd gold this year, they would both get matching tattoos while they were in Vancouver.

That's not even the best part! He goes ALL OUT for his final run. His setup for his final turn, the double cork 1260, didn't quite work out as planned, so he went into it with no speed and STILL PULLED IT OFF AMAZINGLY! What in the world?! And then? He posted a 48.4!!!! DAMN, Shaun White!

Suffice to say, I am excited, enthused, energized, etc. SO MUCH FUN. And they all make it look so easy! I wish I could pull off stunts like that. Or anything even remotely close. But for now I'm happy to watch vicariously. Can't wait 'til tomorrow.

One last topic for the day! Blogging rules. Linden and I have finally ironed them out, after much chatter, intense debate, argument, and a fist fight or two. By which I really mean a two-minute conversation about an hour ago. We each have to blog at least twice by Wednesday night and twice by Sunday night, for a total of four posts per week. Preferably said posts should be spread out, but it's not a requirement. "Night" is defined as before you wake up the next morning (so this counts for Wednesday night, though for today, it only has to be one post). Feel free to harass me if I start flagging!

----------------
Now playing: The Script - Breakeven
via FoxyTunes

No comments: