Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Went to bed feeling well, woke up dead."

[From TQ's Epidemiology textbook, a sidebox of some causes of death reported on death certificates in the early 1900s]

Others, for your reading pleasure:
"Died suddenly without the aid of a physician."
"A mother died in infancy."
"Deceased had never been fatally sick."
"Died suddenly, nothing serious."

I pity the patients of the early 1900s. Hopefully their physicians were better than their death certificates would otherwise suggest.

I have a biochem exam tomorrow that may or may not kick my academic ass. I hope it's the latter. TQ and I are at Starbucks right now being far more productive than we would be in our own apartments. Too bad it's not open 24/7. *sigh*

There's no real theme to this; just a few scattered thoughts.

Linden is trying to convince me to visit her at Dartmouth before she graduates by showing me unfairly gorgeous pictures of her campus and buildings and surrounding areas. Low blow, Linden, low blow. =P

Akshay and Linden both told me about this awesome online app, GrooveShark, within a day of each other, so I decided to check it out today, and it is awesome. I'm a huge fan. I am officially using it to listen to music -- clean user interface, great database of songs, etc. I like.

I have decided to start "THE LIST." You know how you'll be going through your day and suddenly realize, hey, I wish I had that, or hey, that would make my life easier? Or something along those lines? Well, I have those thoughts on occasion, and of course promptly forget what those items are. And then when it finally comes time to spend some of my discretionary income, I can't remember what I wanted to spend it on! What a travesty.

As an attempted remedy, I am starting "THE LIST," which is a list of all those items which I will one day hopefully purchase and own. I have five items on it so far, but hopefully it won't grow too rapidly; these ones have been on my horizons for quite some time now, and I finally remembered them long enough to put them down on metaphorical paper:

- Earphones that hook around the ear (easier for gym use)
- Weight-lifting gloves (also for the gym)
- Iron Man 2 poster (my mom made me take down my skull-and-crossbones "Dead Men Tell No Tales" poster, and now there is a gaping hole on my wall. I'm not even kidding -- it's gaping.)
- MD baseball cap (the one I currently own has seen four years' worth of love -- and sweat -- and should probably be replaced soon. Plus I want a different design, to add to my not-quite-collection, since I only have one currently...)
- Sports headband (to keep my hair back when I'm on the treadmill -- again, for gym purposes)

It amuses me how many of those things are gym-related, lol. Hopefully that says something about my new routine =) I'm really happy about the 3-days-a-week at the gym schedule I have going so far, and I hope to up it to 4 or 5 days a week in the next couple.

Amusing quote from my Biochem textbook (yes, it's dorky):
"At one time, many scientists believed that life, with its inherent complexity and order, somehow evaded the laws of thermodynamics. However, elaborate measurements on living animals are consistent with the conservation of energy predicted by the first law. Unfortunately, experimental verification of the second law is not practicable, since it requires dismantling an organism to its component molecules, which would result in its irreversible death."

On that oddly appropriate note, back to studying! (Ew.)


----------------
Now playing: Kings Of Leon - Use Somebody
via FoxyTunes

No comments: